The local authorities, the technical organization and the collaborating companies will implement the strictest safety and prevention protocols against COVID-19
Maximum responsibility is requested from participants and the public to, among all, guarantee a good return to mountain competition
Following the postponement of the ISF Skyrunning World Championships until July 2021 due to COVID-19 and the decision to postpone and resize the BUFF® Epic Trail in its 2020 edition, the sports organization and the Vall de Boí authorities report that this year, from September 4 to 6, the races will already strictly adopt the safety and prevention protocols of the Catalan mountain federation (FEEC) and the Government of Catalonia.
With this objective, the surface of the areas destined to hold the event in the town of Barruera will be notably expanded compared to previous editions –departure and arrival area, children’s activities area and race office–. The number of parallel activities to be held will also be reduced and the competition areas will be completely shielded.
These are some of the new measures, which will be scrupulously followed and which will allow to celebrate a safe race and faithful to the essence of pure Skyrunning:
- People diagnosed or ill with COVID-19 who have not overcome the disease or do not have a medical discharge will not be able to participate in the races or attend the event. Neither are those that present any compatible symptoms or those that have had contact with a patient and have not passed the quarantine.
- All participants will answer a questionnaire about COVID-19, sign a declaration of responsibility and have a temperature control.
- The pickup of numbers will be done avoiding accumulations of people, in an orderly manner and always guaranteeing interpersonal distance.
- In the spaces of common use there will be hydroalcoholic gel available to the participants.
- All the organization’s staff will follow the strictest prevention and safety guidelines.
- There will be no shower service or changing rooms in the sports area, but there will be public toilets with access control and constant disinfection personnel.
- The necessary physical measures will be implemented to avoid contact between the public and runners during the race.
- The use of the mask will be mandatory at all times for participants and public. The runners will be exempt when they are in full sport practice.
- Access to the starting boxes will be controlled and the start will be in groups of 20 runners, with a 2-minute difference between each group.
- The starting area will be equipped with adequate signage to ensure a distance of 2 meters between the runners.
- At the feeding stations, participants will receive individual solid and/or liquid rations from a member of the organization and will consume them in their vicinity, in an open space, avoiding concentrations at the tables and in no case touching food or containers other than their own.
- The timing points or intermediate steps will be wider than usual to keep distances as much as possible.
- Upon arrival at the finish line, accumulations of runners will be avoided and it must be quickly abandoned towards a larger open area, conveniently enabled.
- All spaces, both on the BUFF® Epic Trail and the BUFF® Mountain Festival, will be properly perimeter and signposted.
Call for maximum responsibility
In addition, both the local authorities and the organization of the race ask participants and companions the maximum responsibility in their visit to La Vall de Boí. A call is made for collective exemplarity in order to progressively recover normality in the practice of mountain competition and, in parallel, of tourist activity.
The formula to follow is the one already known to all: social distancing, hand hygiene, mask and, above all, the utmost respect for those around us.
Limited registrations available
On Saturday, September 5, BUFF® Epic Trail proposes the distances of 42 km and 12 km. And on Sunday, September 6, the distance of 26 km and also the MTB event corresponding to the Scott Marathon Cup 2020 will be held.
Registrations, this year exceptionally limited for security reasons, are open on the web www.buffmountainfestival.com, where you can also consult all the information related to the races and the festival.